Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Fashion and Food Tours in Northern Italy: Italy Anyone?


Italy Anyone?

For the past 15 years, I’ve travelled to Verona, Italy each summer. I first went there in 2006, primarily because I had found out they had an open- air opera that took place in a Roman arena.
So, off I went on my adventure, and I enjoyed not only the opera, but also the city itself.
Verona is a small city, situated in the north. It has a very strategic position in history, as it is between Milan (west) and Venice (east). Most trains from the north come down to Italy through Verona as well.
Enjoying gelato in Verona

 
After my first year, I decided to study Italian, and then, I consciously decided to make friends (which is a bit of a push, even for me, as I have a shy side). All this has blossomed into many wonderful adventures and friendships. And, as always, I was always on the lookout for anything to do with fashion and cuisine.  I feel like serendipity follows me around. Who was to know that..
·      My landlord who was a banker, had a client who owns a knitting manufacturing mill
·      I would strike up a conversation with a small group at the next table in a restaurant, only to find out that he was a food tour guide
·      One of my girlfriends had a friend who was restructuring her grandmother’s home in central Verona into tourist apartments
·      The wife of a restaurant owner was a felter who gives workshops
·      My growing network of friends would watch out for textile/fashion/food things for me
·      Milan and Venice each are just over an hour train ride from Verona and trains run often
·      The ‘nonna’ (grandmother) of the knitting manufacturer’s family enjoys teaching pasta making and cooking to me and my friends
·      The gelateria owner would be willing to let us taste gelato in the realm of wine tasting
·      There is an amazing fashion museum in the country in the middle of nowhere; it was once the summer estate of a lord.
·      Verona is very fashion forward; store windows change constantly and are full of innovative design
·      And so on..

A few years in, I felt I had enough connections to lead small group tours of my second home, Verona. I first organized Fashion retreats and involve artisans, travel to Venice/Milan, and related. People are always gracious to us, and we have some of the most amazing experiences.

Below are some images
 
The Roman wall that touches our apartment building

Store window in Verona

Day trip to Venice

Visits to Jenny Klaer, a yarn store in Verona

A typical vineyard in Valpolicello region

Watching a purse making demo at Dolce and Gabbana in Milan

The sales woman modeling for us at Issey Miyake in Milan

More Issey Miyake fashion, Milan

Nonna... making pasta



This year, I’m hosting two retreats in the month of June. One for food (it’s great for couples), followed by one for fashion.  Information can be found at the links below.




No comments: