Monday, October 25, 2010

Creative use of IPad


A few weeks ago, I went to the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. As I was meandering through the art galleries, I heard organ music in the distance. As a lover of music, I was drawn to locate the source and enjoy the sounds not only audibly, but visually as well.

Imagine my surprise (and delight) to see the organist, David Hegarty, playing the organ and using his Ipad as his "music book". Every few minutes, he would tap the screen to turn the page. As an avid Mac girl, yet again, I am amazed at all the creative applications I see with Mac people.

I emailed David and asked him to tell me more. This is what he said:
The iPad is a great repository for printed music. I scan the music and then load it into the ForScore app on the iPad. The scores can be arranged into set-lists for specific performances. And there's no awkward page turning—just a quick tap of the screen turns the page. There's even provision for making performance notes in various colors on the page. I can store hundreds of compositions in the iPad without lugging around bulky notebooks. Revolutionary!


Check out David's site

Here are a few shots of David and the organ:

David...

turning the page...

Playing...

No comments: