Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fiber, Felt and Inspiration at the Museum of Craft and Design, San Francisco

Recently I seen a few hours viewing an exhibit at the Museum of Craft and Design in San Francisco. I specifically went there to view an exhibit called Felt Decoded, featuring artist Janice Arnold.

As an instructor of Textiles at San Diego Mesa College's Fashion Program, I'm always interested to learn more about fiber and anything related to that. I had heard of this exhibit through an Italian filter friend, Lisbeth Wahl. Small world, that an Italian had to clue me in to an exhibit in my own state, from many miles away.


Here are a few images that were 'wow' moments.




In one area of the exhibit, there is this amazing microscope that you could place over a sample fiber in a container. I have no idea what the level of magnification was, but it as a LOT. Below check out a few fibers (on the left) and their close-up versions (on the right).
Houndstooth

Merino Knit

Denim

Tussah Silk

Lyocell

Felted sample



5 comments:

Pooja Pandey said...

Hey Very nice Blog,Thanks For Sharing..


Graphic Designing Courses

Diploma In Graphic Designing courses

Jewellery designing training institute

HafizKesuma said...

Hi Susan, I'm hafiz from Malaysia.. thanks for sharing about textile experien in your blog.. actually I intrested about you visit at KCI Kyoto japan. I'm also have to visit KCI with my students, maybe arround Mac 2018.. by the way maybe you can suggest to me about this KCI coz my student studdied about art n fashion industry..hopefully u help me about this... Ok before I forgot I'm also have company batik productions, I'm a maker also, batik is our traditional garments. We make all methods for batik procedd, stamping batik, handrawn batik, also tyedye we do.. you can visit our ig at #kesumaworldcraft.. tq Susan..

Ayush said...

Nice Post. Thanks for sharing
Colleges in Uttarakhand
Fashion Designing course in Dehradun
Animation & Multimedia Course in Dehradun
Drawing & Painting Course in Dehradun
Fine Arts Course in Dehradun
Journalism & Mass Communication Course in Dehradun
Commerce & Management Courses in Dehradun

Parul said...

Great Post thanks for sharing.

CBSE school in Dehradun
Best school in Dehradun fee
Top CBSE school in Dehradun
Day School in Dehradun
Dehradun Famous School

Home interiors designers said...

Home interiors designer is one of the best interior designer in Patna and Bihar. For all of who needs such services visit us.